Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Celebrating Ds, and the unexpected blessings that came along with it.

The Buddy Walk and a beautiful day made way for reflection, on just how amazing this extra chromosome, has impacted my life. 


Liam, taking it all in. This precious boy, who would have been left in a bed on a day like today, was out with his family celebrating, what initially put him in an institution in the first place. Down syndrome. He was placed there, because of it, and ultimately adopted, as a result of it. What began as a tragedy, became something miraculous.

This sweet, little funny face, amazes me every day, with his love for life and learning. And, all of that would have been hidden away, never to be let out, never to be experienced, if his adoption didn't happen. I often wonder if his birth mother only knew, what he would accomplish and how amazing he is.....would she have walked away from him?

And Caleb, so happy and social. Think of all the friendships that never would have been, if his adoption would not have happened. And, who would thank the principal for the fire drills, if it weren't for Caleb? Down syndrome.... once confined him inside four walls, and then Down syndrome, also set him free.

Three brothers, born to three different mothers, in three different regions of Russia, were brought together because of one extra chromosome.

And then, there's Jimmy, who taught me, what completely over the top love, feels like. Who, when he was almost grown, made my heart yearn for more, of that extra special love. He grew my heart enough, for each one of the Smurfs, to have their own special spot in it. I owe it all to my God, and the gift he gave me, when he placed Jimmy in my arms, almost 29 years ago. 
So we celebrated Down syndrome at this Buddy Walk, but we also celebrated, so much more.

5 comments:

  1. What amazes me, is how "Unrussian" they look. I live in Europe and I see a lot of Russians with typical Russian features. Just what a different environment does to change them should be studied. Great job! I only have one with DS. No one in our family would trade him for anything. -Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a Blessing these beautiful children are to you... and, You to Them! I am a friend of your Mom's on FB. What you have done and Do every day has So touched my heart. Sincerely~ Theresa Pollock

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a Blessing these beautiful children are to you... and You to Them! What you Have done and continue to do has touched the very heart of me. I am a friend of your Mom's on FB. May the LORD continue to bless each and every one of you Mightily!

    ReplyDelete