Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Happy 5th Gotcha Day Elijah Nikolai!

Monday was Elijah's 5th Gotcha Day. It seems like only yesterday,  I was walking out of an orphanage in Novosibirsk, Russia, carrying the most beautiful little boy. Just the day before, I had stood in a courthouse explaining to the judge, that this precious child deserved a family. The orphanage director agreed. An institution is no place for him. He would not have a future in Russia. I had brought a photo album full of pictures of our family, spotlighting many photos of Jimmy and Caleb and all of the things they were doing.  The judge looked over them and occasionally smiled. She asked me countless questions, and then after an hour, she left the courtroom to make her decision. In about 10 minutes, she returned. I stood up to hear her say that she agreed, Elijah would be better off being adopted by my family. I stood there trying not to tear up, and thanked her. Then she added, that the 10 day wait, to take Elijah from the orphanage was waived. I could go get him right away. That doesn't happen very often and I was extremely grateful. She thanked me for adopting Elijah and wished us well. :) There was paperwork that needed to be done, so I agreed to wait until the next day to pick Elijah up. When we arrived at the orphanage, the orphanage director was so happy. Elijah was the first child with Down syndrome, ever to be adopted from this orphanage. I will never forget that day. It will be etched in my memory forever, the day I became a Mom for the 4th time. My beautiful Elijah Nikolai, would never step foot into an institution. 
He was free. He was chosen. He was wanted  He was loved. 
This is the very first picture I saw of Elijah. He just took my breath away.

October 2008
Meeting my sweet little boy for the first time.


April 2009 
Ready for our US Embassy appointment :)


March 31, 2014
Celebrating Elijah

What LOVE looks like 

Elijah, you are the most amazing little boy! I am so proud of you. You are so curious and creative. You are such a beautiful gift. I love you so much sweet boy, and I am so incredibly thankful that I am your Mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment