Monday, September 7, 2009

It's almost time

It's that time of year already. I always like the beginning of a new school year. Getting ready for the first day of school, labeling lunch boxes and school supplies, and writing narratives of the boys to give to their new teachers. I spoke often with Caleb's new teacher throughout the summer and this last week, so I didn't send in a narrative for him. I had a lot to write up for Elijah though. He has learned over 20 signs and continually amazes me with how observant he is. He helps me unload the dishwasher and knows where the spoons and sippy cup lids go just by watching me. Those are the only ones he can help with right now, and he does a good job. He is also trying to dress himself. If I start to put his pants/shorts on him, he quickly grabs them and tries to do it himself. He almost has it mastered too. Anyway, there were plenty of things to tell them about that he has learned to do this summer.

Caleb's first day of school is tomorrow and Elijah's will be on Wednesday. Caleb is attending a new school this year. We have three 1-4 grade schools in our district and he is attending one that has an elevator so he is happy. (Remember I said he is a button pusher). He will attend 1st grade for 1/2 day and a resource room for the other half of the day. He has visited his teacher several times this summer so he is familiar with her and also the building.:) Elijah will be attending the ECSE (Early Childhood Special Education) program 4 days a week for 2 and 1/2 hours a day. He will be bussed to daycare after school, where he will eat his lunch and take a nap. I will be picking him up right after his nap each day. On Fridays, he will attend daycare all day. He has already went to daycare twice last week so he is familiar with it and the caregivers there. They said although he cried for several minutes after I left, he had a good day.:) Last Thursday, we visited his teacher at school so he could see his room and get to know her a little before the first day. I'm concerned about his bus ride on the first day. I talked with Transportation and shared my concerns. I told them he may be apprehensive and cry the first day or so, but hopefully he will enjoy it as much as Caleb. Too bad Caleb and Elijah are on different buses, because it would have helped to have Caleb with him. They told me that he will have an aide on the bus and also be riding in a car seat, so I know he will be taken care of. Today I am going over my lesson plans for my classroom and we also have to run out and get Elijah a couple pair of pants and another pair of shoes. I already had them bought earlier this summer but he has not grown as quickly as I had expected so we need to buy a few smaller sizes. He isn't wearing any of Caleb's clothes yet, because when I brought Caleb home he was wearing 2T and Elijah was only wearing 12 months. He is beginning to wear 18 months now. Hopefully he will be able to wear some of Caleb's things in the Spring.:)


Guess who likes ice cream? Elijah has discovered that ice cream is really yummy. He also like bacon now too! I am thrilled that he is trying new foods and actually likes them.:) Stay tuned for First Day of School pictures coming soon.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like everything is coming together so nicely! Elijah sounds like he's doing SO well!! Poor Erik is WAY behind him (he can't really do anything for himself yet), but time will tell. :o)

    Keep us updated!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The boys are getting so big! I hope all goes well with little Elijah :O) Though it is sad to think of him crying when mommy left, how great it is knowing that he has bonded so well with mommy and misses you when you leave :O) Can't wait to see school pictures of your handsome little men.

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck this week!!!
    Your boys are so stinkin cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure your two little ones will do just great on their first day of school. It is always a little scary for all kids just starting out, that first day of school can give all kids butterflies in their stomachs, I was always terrified every year all through school. Good luck on your first day of school I'm sure you will put all your students at ease by the end of the day. May God be with you and all kids on their first day, love you all. Aunt Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What cutie pies! It sounds like your ECSE program is very similar to ours, I know he'll have a blast once he gets into the routine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy for you Amy! Elijah will love school before you know it I'm sure. It is great to see how well he has bonded with you.
    I also love to see how his eating is going. He'll grow into those big boy clothes soon if he keeps expanding his dietary horizons :0)
    Can't wait to see and hear about the first day!
    Deana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy,
    Your boys are so adorable! I pray school will go great for all of you! And so glad Elijah is eating and trying new foods....

    Love, Paula

    ReplyDelete