Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Jimmy's Groove

What is a groove?
A groove is a set pattern or thought in one's actions or thoughts. People with Down syndrome are particularly good at this business of having and following grooves in their daily lives.

One example of a groove that we see with Jimmy is:

Being quite meticulous in the care of his appearance and grooming as well as his room and his possessions. People with Ds often have a set place for furniture and other personal items in their rooms or living spaces. Items that are moved or disturbed by others are usually returned to the original location in short order.

The pictures below show different areas in Jimmy's room that are in order the way Jimmy wants them. Just because they may not look like they are in order to you and me,(toys on the floor) doesn't mean that they are not in order to Jimmy. Believe me, if I were to go in to Jimmy's room and move anything an inch to the left, Jimmy would realize it and promptly move it back.


The video below shows what happened when Jimmy recently went on vacation and I cleaned his room while he was away, including the rug that some of his trains are on. Afterward, I did not get them back in the correct order and as soon as Jimmy came home, he realized that and immediately sat down to put them in the correct order. I didn't realize that it would bother Jimmy as much as it did. Once he started putting his trains in the correct order, I decided to videotape him to show you what one of Jimmy's grooves look like. And next time, if I clean his rug, I will take a photo of the trains first to make sure that I put them back correctly.:(









For more information, I recommend the book:
Mental Health in Adults with Down syndrome, a guide to emotional and behavioral strengths and challenges by Dennis McGuire, Ph.D. & Brian Chicoine, M. D.

10 comments:

  1. This post makes me happy on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jimmy sure has a lot of trains, does he usually clean his own room and move each engine as he does so to clean under them. I think that is so interesting about his having a groove, As neat as he keeps all of his things all kids should have his groove. He is so great. Love all of you guys. Aunt Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, Jimmy does not like to clean his trains or his room. Dust does not seem to bother Jimmy, but not having everything in order does!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so interesting. I long for the day that my boys decide that they want everything neat and orderly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, Loved seeing Jimmy in his groove! My Grace gets her groove on every day and there is no changing it.

    I loved watching Jimmy meticulously put his trains back in order....especially to watch his hands and cute little pinkie go up just like Grace! He is such a love!

    Thanks for sharing about the resource too...gotta get that one!

    Love, Bella & Grace's Mama

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you posted this. I will read that book, too! Andreas has a few grooves of his own. I was afraid it might turn into OCD as an adult. This makes me feel much better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Again, I love the way his mind works. Jimmy is truly an individual and it's so nice to see him claiming that for himself. He's quite a guy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such a great mom to even try to put them back the way they were.I think I would have juat put them in a pile for him to fix when he got home lol was he upset when HE saw they were not right?or did he just start fixing them?

    katrinajosiahsmom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, but I have to LOL! I love Jimmy! He certainly does have everything just so! Bless his heart! I can't imagine Erik ever being that way though - he seems so ...in his own place... he doesn't care at ALL where anything is! LOL Are Caleb or Elijah anything like that?

    Poor Jimmy - he looks so stressed in the video, like he's so nervous about everything getting back in to place. I just wanna give him a hug...!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leanne is the SAME way! If you move the perfume bottles on her dresser to dust, she gets so irritated and promptly moves them back. My mom once got a call at work. It was the cleaning lady who found a handwritten note Leanne left that said "Don't clean my room or I kill you" LOL! We laughed and laughed. She truly is the sweetest person but her sense of order is very important to her.

    ReplyDelete