Monday, November 26, 2012

Liam...10 months home:)



In the last couple months, Liam has really been coming into his own. He has a very spunky personality and he likes to tease. He's funny and sweet all rolled into one. But lately, he is more. He is understanding what we say and what he sees. Like the other day, while I was sitting in the living room, and he brought his juice cup over to me and signed "juice". Wow! That's huge:) Up until a month or two ago, he would just get irritated whenever he was thirsty or hungry. No matter how much I tried to teach him the signs, he would only use the sign "drink" and "eat" when I modeled it first. Now, he will come into a room and tell you if he wants a drink or something to eat.

He also knows that I am Mama. Yesterday while I was in the kitchen, he threw his glasses off in the living room. He was told to pick them up and take them to Mama. I waited quietly to see if he would actually do it. And wouldn't you know it, he came around the corner and handed them to me. And then he bolted out of there before I could put them back on.:) I signed and said "thank you" as he was leaving. LOL

He does sign "bath" and will often want a bath several times a day. And if he thinks I'm not getting the picture, he will take his pants and pullup off, as if to say "Do you understand now?" :)

I have started talking about things and pointing to them. He listens and looks to where I'm pointing. He is comprehending language and is taking an interest in what is being said to him. This is awesome progress, from just a  couple months ago.

The other day, I told Elijah to go get his shoes on. When Liam heard the word shoes, he signed, "shoes". :)

I could go on and on about my excitement over Liam's progress. I'll admit every once in a while, I became discouraged, thinking maybe he would never learn to communicate or even use ASL. But Liam has shown me that with time, love and lots of patience, he will learn. I'm so thrilled for him and for us. He seeks us out to play or pick him up. He wants to interact with us.

Another time, I ran to the store. When I came back, he walked into the kitchen and tossed his jacket at me. It was like he was telling me, "Remember, you don't leave home without me!"

At school, Liam is plugging away with puzzles, the computer, music, colors and letter recognition. Each day I get a report of what he did and how much he enjoyed his day.:)

So, 10 months after being home, Liam is beginning to show us what he can do.:)

If you are adopting, especially an older child with a  cognitive impairment...just keep in mind that the progress may come slow. But it just makes the day when they do something new, that much more spectacular!

Love you Liam,

Love, your Mama...... forever

4 comments:

  1. What a great update, Amy!! He sounds very much on target with Erik and it sounds like he will pass him up in no time! ;o)

    Give him a kiss for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for Liam..The world is his oyster! :D
    I think the most rewarding part of our Mom job is seeing the progress our love makes blossom. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy I am so happy to hear of Liam's progress, with your patience and your love along with the love of his 4 brothers I know he will continue to grow. Love you all

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading about Liam and how well he is doing. You know he has a piece of my heart!!

    ReplyDelete