Monday, January 28, 2013

He started it


Jimmy did.

Let's just say that Jimmy was one of the cutest babies I have ever seen. Jimmy took hold of my heart as soon as I held him in my arms. From day one, I loved that boy more than I could ever imagine. I never knew you could love someone so much. In fact, when I was pregnant with my second son Ben, I found myself worrying a little. Worrying..... would I love him as much as Jimmy, if he didn't have Down syndrome? I mentioned that I was feeling a little down to an OB-GYN during one of my appointments. He rudely asked me if I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Excuse me?  How could I tell him that I was afraid (using his insensitive wording) that the other shoe wouldn't drop?

Jimmy and Ben
Then Ben was born and he didn't have Down syndrome and I loved him just as much, of course.:) But I still had an intense love for children with Ds, and that love would continue to grow through the years.

 
Later in life, I found my children growing up too quickly for me. I was also divorced and not in a position to have another baby. Hmmmm, what to do? I began looking at adoption. Jimmy was 17 and Ben was 13 at the time, when I discovered that children with disabilities were not accepted in Eastern Europe and in many other parts of the world. They were put into orphanages, then transferred to  institutions, with the majority dying before adulthood. Seriously? This is still happening in this day and age? Sadly yes. So if you're one of these people that think this is not occuring anymore, you are in denial. Once, I realized this, I knew international adoption was what I was being called to do.

Jimmy has always been fond of babies and he really got interested as I started researching adoption.  I explained to him, that there were some children that had no mommies or daddies to care for them. He didn't ask why, he just simply said, "That's sad." I would share with him their beautiful faces, and he would smile and tell me to go get that one, and that one, and that one. LOL! He began telling people, even complete strangers that he was getting a new baby brother. :)
My handsome Jimmy

Caleb

Liam

Elijah
So our adoption journey began, and over the course of 7 years, Jimmy got not one, but three new little brothers. All because of him. He started it.  I love Jimmy more than I can put into words. He is my world, my inspiration, my love, my buddy.:) And his sweet little brothers have stolen my heart as well.

2 comments:

  1. Ohmygoodness! What a handsome kiddo Jimmy (and Ben too) was! Love that blonde hair. What a guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All 5 of your sons are beautiful, I know you love them all more than life itself, none of them could have gotten a better mother than you. You are the best. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete