Sunday, July 25, 2010

No power

This weekend was a little out of the ordinary. First, we had a storm that looked like a hurricane blowing around and then the power went out. Now, I can deal with no power for a couple hours but after waking up the next day without power was a bummer. Without a blowdryer, the hair went up into a pony tail. The boys ate snack pack pudding for breakfast (which they loved!) and I began scurrying around trying to find all of our flashlights only to discover that all the batteries needed to be replaced.:( Okay then.....let's make a list of things we are going to need. Since we heard that our county got hit the worst and our most of our town was out of power, I decided I needed to make sure that we had a few basics... peanut butter, apple juice, bagels, bananas and chocolate. We did hit McDonald's for lunch and TGIF's for dinner (no, the boys did not eat pudding all weekend:) We headed out to the store only to find traffic lights out on almost every corner and roads closed due to fallen power lines. In fact, our next door neighbor had a huge tree laying in their backyard on top of their power lines. The storm blew huge trees down but do you think it would blow the dirty diaper off the garage roof that Caleb threw up there several months ago? Nope! It's still there! (I did put it into a plastic bag before he threw it, thank goodness) Oh well, the boys did very well, using flashlights to look at books and having Mommy hold the flashlight while they were brushing their teeth and saying bedtime prayers. Caleb did remarkably well going without the TV or listening to his Elmo CD. Elijah was fine too except he folowed me everywhere which was pretty funny. So here are a few pics I took this weekend while we were waiting out the power outage. It really wasn't that bad and we did have a lot of fun together. Jimmy and Ben are in Florida right now, so they missed all the excitement!

The boys thought the fallen branches were pretty cool. I wish I would have got a picture of Mikey carrying around a branch wagging his tail.

Caleb and Elijah having fun with the rice.

To stay cool, Elijah spent a lot of the weekend playing in just his diaper.

Caleb and Elijah watching the guys cut up the fallen tree next door with chainsaws.

This is the cutest flashlight, but I really do need to be more prepared next time. This cute little thing just doesn't cut it.

5 comments:

  1. Love the picture of the boys watching out the window!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you survived without power. Definitely not easy when you have to keep two little ones ! Love the pic of the boys looking out the window....too cute! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow!! What a weekend!! I had to admit, I laughed out loud when I read that the diaper was still on the roof!!

    I'm so glad no one got hurt - no tree crashed through your roof or anything. Whew!

    The boys'll probably remember that weekend for a long time, and I'll bet Jimmy is bummed that he missed it. He would have enjoyed it. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids are so great at adjusting to just about anything out of the ordinary. I give you a lot of credit at being able to cope. But it did let you know what you need to have on hand in case of another outage. (Batteries) It has been a while since my power went out and it was at night and Caleb freaked out, I had to keep the flashlight in my hand at all times while he sat on my lap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like the weekend was still good. Glad the boys were ok with the changes. I think my son got hit with the same storm in Milwaukee. It was a bad one. How's your basement? I've often wondered what I would do if power went out for days on end, but haven't ever had to find out thankfully. Hope you're all in the light now. :)

    ReplyDelete