Friday, June 15, 2012

Chosen by Jesus Himself

I am so in love with this sweet boy

It's hard to believe that just 5 short months ago, Liam was living in an institution. When I was going through the adoption process, I knew that my little boy had already turned six and was transferred to an institution. But this is why I was adopting an older child. I wanted to bring home a child that had been given zero hope of ever being adopted. Liam had three strikes against him:

1. He was a boy.
2. He was considered an "older" child.
3. He was disabled.

The majority of families that  adopt, want healthy little girls. Boys are most often left behind. And if you are an "older" boy, you have little hope of being adopted. And if you are a disabled, older boy.......well, you are given "no hope". Liam had no hope. But Liam had an additional strike against him.

4. The caregivers at his orphanage and again at the institution didn't think he was "a good one."

When I first met Liam, I was asked, "WHY, do you want him? We have better kids with Down's than him." (Did they want me to choose a "better one"? Seriously?)

My heart sank when I heard those words. I simply told them that I loved him. I saw potential for him to learn and that I knew he would learn. I told them that it didn't matter to me what he wasn't able to do now.  I told her that those things weren't important.

I loved him. He needed a Mommy. Period.

After that brief conversation, the caregivers appeared more friendly. They smiled with Liam and laughed with him. Did they really think he was not a good one? I don't think so. I really think it's just the perception of disabled individuals in this country. They don't know anything different. These children aren't given a chance in their country to showcase their ability to learn and to love and to show off their talents. These precious children are whisked away to institutions where they locked away and forgotten.

It's like the  little tree in Charlie Brown's Christmas. You know the part, when Linus says, "All it needs is a little love."

Everyone needs love.  And after everything Liam has endured in his little life, he still has this amazing ability to love. Even after all those years when he didn't receive any in return.


We are so blessed to have Liam Josiah in our family.  And just for the record......Liam is the perfect one for us.

 Chosen for us, by Jesus himself.
 It doesn't get any better than that.

3 comments:

  1. ♥ Oh Amy..
    Liam's just a doll! Chosen is such a really,really beautiful & powerful word. I love how God grows US though the ones He's chosen for our family. People always comment on how lucky adopted children are...but it's the other way around. We're the lucky ones for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say Amy is "AMEN" All 5 of your boys are so loved and none more than the others. How beautiful they all are. Love you and the boys. Aunt Sandy

    ReplyDelete