Thursday, June 7, 2012

I didn't feel that way

Every time I read about someone recalling what it was like to give birth to a child with Down syndrome, it makes me want to say, "Hey, wait a minute!" Why? Because they always explain it like this: "It was like the child I had hoped for had died. I had to grieve the child I lost."

And while that is true for many, that is not how it was for me. When we we're thinking about having children, we wanted a healthy child. Period. And that's what we got. So, you're probably wondering, what I did feel when I was told Jimmy had Down syndrome? I instantly felt sad for him, afraid that he would be made fun of. I cried because I didn't want his life to be difficult. I was afraid he wouldn't have friends. And I cried because when the doctors talked about heart defects and such, I was scared to death he may die young. I couldn't imagine it.

So my tears were different. I felt differently than everyone I have ever talked to or read about. I sometimes worry that when young women read when you have a child with Ds,  you will grieve your lost child, that, that may freak them out. Who wants to deal with that nightmare when they give birth? No one, wants to grieve and feel such a  loss when their child is born. So could it have an impact on women deciding whether or not they will abort? I wonder.

I want young women to know that not everyone grieves for a child that they lost. I didn't dream of my child one day becoming a doctor, lawyer, or an awesome athlete. I just wanted a beautiful, healthy child that would be a good person. Period.

When Jimmy was born, I did not realize how much I could love another human being. I loved him more than I ever imagined. A mother's love is so intense, and I felt every bit of that for Jimmy instantly.

So why do many new mother's feel that way? I have no idea. And I am not judging them either. But I felt different.

I just want women out there to know that the birth of a child with Ds can be a happy time.

It is such a joy to have Jimmy in my life. He has taught me patience and to slow down and to enjoy every moment. Laugh and laugh hard. He has taught me, that there is joy and beauty all around us, even when we don't see it..

He lives his life closer to Jesus than anyone I have ever known. Who has a child and then strives every day the rest of her life to be more like that child? Me. Who is so inspired by this child that she changes her dreams of becoming a preschool teacher to become a special education teacher? Me. Who is so overcome with emotion by all of the love that she has received from this child, that she wanted more children with Ds? Me.

And this all began with the beautiful entrance of Jimmy into this world and into my life.



6 comments:

  1. I didn't feel that way either. Later I went to a DS support group and I was told that there is a grieving process you go through and it is as though the child you hoped for had died. But I was never able to relate to that because I didn't feel that way either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our feelings about Vivian's diagnoses were quite muddled at first.

    I didn't realize it at the time, but right after Vivian was born, she had a few minutes on my wife's chest. My wife was exhausted and a bit out of it, and didn't get to savor the moment before they took her to be cleaned.

    After she was cleaned, I got to hold her, then her grandma, then my dad. Poor Kelly was waiting for her turn when she heard the nurses whispering about Vivian's hand, and her eyes. She was nervous because of the whispering. She finally got to hold Vivian after a half hour or so, but was worried about the whispering.

    The pediatrician told my wife that Vivian has Down Syndrome while I was looking for some dinner with my father. She didn't wait for me to be there, which was bad enough, but then she left my wife in bed and walked out of the room.

    I came back and Kelly looked like a wreck. She was scared about everything she had heard, and was left alone to think about it. Needless to say, she had time to fear the worst. And neither of us knew much about Down Syndrome.

    Our main worry was about our age. I was 44, and Kelly was 37. Would we be around if she needed us into adulthood? Would she be picked on or singled out? Would she be able to take care of herself someday?

    The Down Syndrome Connection seemed so far away, so we didn't go there. We were trying to figure it out by ourselves.

    Then came our "AHA!" moment. We were at the hospital for a newborn checkup, and my wife pointed to a young man walking toward us. His shoulders were straight, his head was high, and he was talking well. He also has Down Syndrome.

    My wife started to tear up, and she realized that it would be OK. Our daughter might just be like that young man.

    Sure we've had the health scares, and the appointments and therapies, but we aren't afraid for her future.

    Now she is blowing all our expectations out of the water. She's walking, learning to talk, learning potty training, and testing our patience. Just like any other kid. She just has a different schedule than everyone else. We call it "Vivian" time.

    Sometimes we wish we were better prepared. But then, if we had been, we might not appreciate just how lucky we have been.

    And Kelly's dream of having a little dancer are alive and well. That dancer is still inside our little girl. She never died, in fact I think she is the driving force behind all that energy. Vivian will be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the nurse brought Jimmy to the window after his birth all I saw was a beautiful baby boy. And I have always been so proud of you for seeing the exact same when you saw Jimmy the first time. Love you and all your boys

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Amy..Loved this ♥ I felt just like you..God had prepared my heart with an article I had read about a mom & her little girl w/ DS. From that moment on I knew in my heart my baby would have DS..& it didn't frighten me one bit. Mat thought I was crazy, but when Eli was given to me I knew instantly & so did he. Eli was one of the most beautiful babies EVER :D I've never mourned him not being a him w/out DS, that thoughts just weird, lol..I love who he is & every thing about him. I totally agree w/ you about the negative impact the statement of "the loss you feel" will have on mom's heart. I would have been scared if I had heard those words. It was scary enough w/ what the dr. were sentencing him too. In the end..Eli has proven them wrong on just about all counts & he's just awesome..Like Jimmy, Isaac, Caleb, Levi, Liam, Elijah and the 1,000 of other beautiful souls out there w/ DS :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, thank you so much for sharing this. What an adorable baby photo! Jimmy was a cutie then just like he is now :)

    ReplyDelete