Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A little more about Liam

Liam came home with  a lot of sounds, but no real words. Having spent his entire life in an institutional setting, with no one to teach him, it's understandable that he would not learn to speak. How sad! It's one of the things we as parents enjoy hearing...is our child saying his or her first word. Wouldn't someone in the 7 years he spent in an institution want to hear my precious boy's first word? Not one person tried to teach Liam how to speak? I have one word for you: NEGLECT.
Liam has some high pitched sounds, some grunting noises, some throat sounds, loud snorts, and humming. He does them at different times depending on his mood. The humming  always comes when he is upset or annoyed. This is the sound that bothers me the most. Not because it is annoying (it is), but because I know that something is upsetting Liam and he cannot express what it is. I always scoop him up and hold him close to me. Most of the time that helps. Sometimes, all he wants is a drink of juice. We are working daily on the "drink" and "eat" signs. I believe he is very close to doing them by himself. He is also babbling now. I have hope for my sweet little boy.

His school is using a picture communication system with Liam and I have one at home also. But mostly I use sign language and verbalize the word at the same time. Liam understands when I say things like, "Do you want to eat?",  "Come here", "Let's go bye-bye", "Let's go night-night", "Time for a bath" (his favorite)......and several more words and phrases. He signs "bath" and has attempted to vocalize it too. He does say "Mama" (my favorite) but does not call me Mama yet. He is making progress. His noises have quieted down a lot and I am hopeful that one day he will talk. :)

Every day is a new day for Liam. A new day to learn and a new day to experience life as a little boy, and being a part of our family. Adopting Liam has been a learning experience for me too. I've learned that there's no need to be sad for what we've lost (7 years) but to rejoice in every precious moment that we have now. I have one word for you: BLESSED.

4 comments:

  1. It's funny you say this, about not being sad. Just yesterday someone asked me how I can stand knowing Asher's past. Isn't that "sad"? I replied that we always keep in mind that certain behaviors or actions come from his past and why, but we don't dwell on it. We're HERE and NOW people. It we wasted time being sad, the boys would never make progress. It's time to move forward and help Asher and Axel know how to BE from this point forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can already see the physical changes in him..no doubt the unseen ones are taking place too :) Even with all our work Isaac still mostly humming-humms. Most of his sounds are in his throat. I was soooo excited when 2 weeks ago he learned how to yell with his voice :) (yelling or screaming was one of ways we worked on getting his voice out)..Liam sounds like such a little blessing, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy I know that one day the Lord will have Liam come to you and say mama to you! God does everything on his time line not ours and I am sure that time line is getting very near. Love you and all of your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE that smile (((HUGS)))
    What a handsome guy!

    ReplyDelete